Family-based immigaration

Family Immigration Attorneys ­ L ocated in Newark, New Jersey and serving clients nationally and internationally, The Law Office of Raymond D'Uva provides experienced, reputable representation in matters related to family immigration. Founding attorney Raymond P. D'Uva has close to four decades of experience handling family immigration matters.

Are You Eligible for Preference Under Family Immigration? Not everyone with a family member in the United States is able to use that relationship as a basis for immigration. Eligibility depends on the immigrant's relationship with the family member and the family member's status in the United States. In most cases if you are an immediate family member of a U.S. citizen, your relative can file an Immediate Relative Petition to allow you to become a lawful permanent resident (“green card” holder). Immediate relatives include spouses of citizens, parents of citizens who are at least 21 years old, and the unmarried, minor (under 21 years old) children of citizens.

Other family­based immigration categories provide an opportunity for foreign nationals to obtain lawful permanent residence but there are a limited number of such visas available. Also, different types of relationships receive different priority in the issuance of these visas. In order of preference, these categories are:

●  Unmarried adult children (21 years of age or older) of U.S. citizens
●  Spouses and unmarried children (under age 21) of lawful permanent residents
●  Unmarried adult children (21 years of age or older) of lawful permanent residents
●  Married children (any age) of United States citizens
●  Brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens

Other Family­based Immigration Benefits

Fiances/Fiancees of United States citizens may, under certain circumstances obtain K­1 visas to allow them to travel to the U.S. to marry their U.S. citizen fiancé/fiancée. Although the K­1 visa is a temporary or “nonimmigrant” visa, once the fiancé/fiancée enters the U.S. and marries the United States citizen, which must take place within 90 days of entry, he/she can apply to adjust status to obtain a green card. Children of the primary K­1 visa holder may accompany their parent to the U.S. as K­2s and may adjust to lawful residence together with their parent once in the U.S.
Family members (spouses and children) of other nonimmigrant visa holders such as executives and managers of multinational companies (L­1s), temporary professional workers (H­1Bs), students (F­1s) as well as other nonimmigrant categories, may usually obtain temporary “nonimmigrant” visas to accompany their spouse or parent to the United States and live, study, and in some circumstances work here while their spouse or parent remains here in their temporary visa status.

If you do not currently have legal immigration status in the United States you may nonetheless be eligible to adjust your status to that of a lawful permanent resident (“green card holder”) based on a family relationship depending on the manner of your entry into this country and depending also on whether you are covered by section 245i of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

Section 245i of the Immigration and Nationality Act which expired on April 30, 2001 provides an opportunity to certain foreign nationals who currently do not have lawful status in this country and who would otherwise not be eligible to apply for lawful status to do so under certain conditions. Consult with a qualified immigration lawyer to learn more about your options.

To schedule an initial consultation to discuss immigration issues with a lawyer at our firm, call us at 973­643­7750 or c ontact our offices online. We look forward to helping you begin a new life in the United States.

Why Choose Us?

When it comes to matters of family-based or business-based immigration law, no other law firm in the Metropolitan Area is as uniquely capable to help you get a positive result as the Law Firm of Raymond P. D’Uva.

It is a combination of our years of experience, focus on matters related to immigration law and passion for a positive outcome that set us apart for many other law firms in this arena.

Experience: Founding attorney Raymond P. D'Uva has close to four decades of immigration law experience. Early in his career, he served as Assistant Counsel to the Subcommittee on Immigration, Citizenship and International Law of the Committee on the Judiciary of the U.S. House of Representatives in Washington, D.C.. In this capacity, he helped to write U.S. immigration law and oversee its administration by the executive branch.

Focus: D’Uva Law focuses on a variety of issues within the realm of immigration law: Family Based Immigration, Employment Based Immigration, Removal and Deportation, Temporary Work Visas, PERM/Labor Certification, Asylum/CAT, Multi-National Executives/Managers, Investors/Entrepreneurs, Athletes/Performers, or Consular Processing.

Passion: We firmly believe in the benefits our society garners from both short-term as well as permanent immigration. To this end, we work very hard for our clients. We become personally vested in your case; our clients meet with and have their questions answered directly by one of our attorneys. They work closely with our lawyers and receive personal attention; we know how important our clients' cases are to them and we genuinely care about helping them achieve their goals.

Our attorneys have helped thousands of people like you unite with families, live and work legally within the U.S., and go through the naturalization process and eventually become full U.S. citizens. Read our client testimonials to see what former clients have to say about our service and our results.

To schedule an initial consultation to discuss immigration issues with a lawyer at our firm, call us at 973-643-7750 or contact our offices online. We look forward to helping you begin a new life in the United States